(Dose preferably be taken during a meal)
1- In acute intestinal amaebiasis (1 day treatment)
• Adults: 2 tablets (2 gm) as a single dose
• Children: 30 mg / kg as a single or divided doses
2- In hepatic amaebiasis (treatment for 5 days)
• Adults: 1.5 gm as a single dose / day
• Children: 30 mg / kg / day as a single or divided doses
3- In urogenital trichomoniasis
2 tablets (2 gm) as a single dose
• Hypersensitivity to imidazole derivatives
• First trimester of pregnancy
• Some GIT disturbances e.g nausea, vomiting and metallic taste in the mouth
• Moderate leucopenia, which disappears afterwards.
• Rarely, dizziness, ataxia, parethesia.
• Alcohol should be avoided during treatment with Secnidazole, because it results
in severe nausea, vomiting, cramps, flushing and headache.
• Secnidazole should not be taken with warfarin or any other anti-coagulant
because it increases the risk of bleeding.
• Secnidazole should not be taken concomitantly with cimitidine because it
increases the blood level of Secnidazole.
• Avoid drinking alcohol during treatment
• Do not take concomitantly with disulfiram